Your domain name is what identifies your Shopify store to the world. It’s how your customers find you online, and it’s a big part of your brand identity. If you need to change your Shopify store domain for any reason, don’t worry – it’s actually a pretty simple process.
Follow these steps to change your Shopify store URL –
Step 1: Go to Settings > Domains from the life sidebar of the admin
Step2: If you don’t have a domain yet, click “Buy new domain” to get one. You can also buy a domain at a cheaper rate on a domain registration website (at just $8-12 per year)
Step 3: If you buy the domain from Shopify, you will see your new domain in the domain list. Otherwise, click the “connect existing domain” to add a new domain.
Step 4: Enter your domain name and log in to your domain registrar to connect it. Check How to connect your domain to Shopify.
Step 5: Once you complete the steps, you will see your new domain in the list.
Step 6: Click “Change primary domain,” select the new domain and click Save.
That’s it! You have successfully changed your Shopify store domain name. Remember to update your DNS settings and redirect your old domain to your new one to avoid disruptions to your business.
How to choose the perfect domain name for your Shopify store
As the first step to building your online store, choosing the perfect domain name is critical. It’s how customers will find you online, and it will be a part of your brand identity.
Finding the right domain name for your Shopify store can seem daunting, but we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll give you some tips on how to choose the perfect domain name for your Shopify store.
When choosing a domain name for your Shopify store, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make it easy to remember and spell: You want customers to be able to find your site easily and without any confusion. Avoid using slang or abbreviations, and keep it as short as possible.
- Use keywords: Include relevant keywords in your domain name so that customers can easily find your site when searching online.
- Choose a .com extension: The .com extension is the most popular and recognizable domain extension. If possible, try to get a .com domain for your Shopify store.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens: Numbers and hyphens can make it difficult for customers to remember your domain name and find your site online. Try to avoid using them if possible.
A domain name is an essential element of a Shopify store. It is the address of your store that people visit to explore your products and services. Moreover, it is how Google and search engine know your business and identifies the pages to rank on SERPs.
And, when you change the domain name, you are basically changing the identity of your store, which means you will have to start from scratch to create awareness and build trust with your customers. Most importantly, you have to focus all over again on SEO to regain the old authority on search engines.
So, if you change the domain name of your Shopify store, you should check these articles next –
- Shopify SEO checklist to rank higher
- Ecommerce link-building strategies
- Best SEO apps for Shopify stores
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out via the contact page or tweet us @ecomsutra with your queries..