Yes, Shopify takes a percentage of each sale. The percentage of sales comprises transaction fees on online sales & credit card rates. However, the rate varies based on your chosen Shopify plan and the business location.
Going ahead, I will explain how much Shopify charges per sale and how it varies based on different factors.
How much does Shopify make per sale?
Shopify charges different types of percentages per sale, and it depends on the following factors –
- Payment processor: Using a payment processor other than Shopify payments? Pay transaction fees.
- Payment method: If customers pay using credit cards, Shopify charges a credit card rate per transaction.
- Shopify plans: The transaction fees and credit card rates vary from plan to plan. The higher plan you choose, the lower your fees will be.
- Store location: Credit card rates differ for each plan based on your business location.
Here’s a quick overview of how much Shopify takes per transaction in the USA –
|Pricing Factors||Basic Plan||Shopify Plan||Advanced Plan|
|Online credit card rates||2.9% + 30¢ USD||2.6% + 30¢ USD||2.4% + 30¢ USD|
|Online International/Amex credit card rates||3.9% + 30¢ USD||3.6% + 30¢ USD||3.4% + 30¢ USD|
|In-person credit/debit card rates||2.7% + 0¢ USD||2.5% + 0¢ USD||2.4% + 0¢ USD|
|Third-party transaction fees (if not using Shopify Payments)||2.0%||1.0%||0.5%|
However, before you make a decision, here are a few things you should know about Shopify charges –
- Shopify Payments is supported in a few countries like the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, and others. So, if your business location is from any eligible country, you can save transaction fees per sale.
- The credit card rates mentioned above are for Shopify Payments only. It may differ for other payment providers.
- Credit card rates charged by Shopify Payments also vary based on your business location.
Simply put, Shopify charges a percentage per sale or transaction from Shopify stores. However, there are multiple factors that decide the fees a specific store has to pay. So, you must check the Shopify pricing plan carefully before considering the platform for your business.
You can refer to our guide on Shopify pricing plans for a deeper understanding of the plans and fees incurred.