To prevent your WordPress site from hacking, malicious virus attacks, and malware corruption, you need to install a powerful WordPress security plugin that acts as a potential shield in safeguarding your site from suspicious logins and attacks.
In this article, I’ll show you the best WordPress security plugins that facilitate maintaining a strong, consistent, and healthy long-lasting website.
Ready to dive in? Let’s get started.
Best security plugins for WordPress sites
This section lets me explain the best hand-picked WordPress security plugins that block harmful threats and protect your site.
With more than 8,00,000 active installations, Sucuri stands as the industry leader and the versatile security plugin for WordPress. You can avail its free version and also paid plans are available.
This cloud-based platform offers extreme security to your websites, acts as a firewall in blocking potential threats, and much more. Once the plugin is installed and activated, you can start to configure the necessary settings.
It also helps in igniting your website speed as it is empowered with a highly optimized content delivery network. The CDN automatically caches your website content which drastically increases your site’s reliability and performance.
- Detection: It actively scans your website for malware, hacks, etc, and sends continuous website monitoring alerts along with updates.
- Protection: With the help of its web application firewall and intrusion prevention system your website is constantly under secured protection.
- Response: It helps in repairing and restoring your website if it gets hacked. Also, it submits blocklist removal to improve the search rankings and removes SEO spam keywords to achieve high credibility.
- Backups: It lets you set up an automatic backup schedule to prevent the risk of losing confidential data. It only backups the latest changes made to your website, i.e each backup is a complete copy of your website available on that specific day.
Wordfence acts as a strong protector of malware threats as it offers firewall and security scanner plugin. It adds a layer of security by enabling two-factor authentication and other robust features, making it the most popular and comprehensive WordPress security plugin.
It includes an endpoint firewall and a malware scanner that effectively defends any type of malicious threat. By endpoint firewall, it means that the firewall which runs within the application and helps in blocking complex malware attacks.
Wordfence has its threat defense feed that even more strengthens the existing security status of your WordPress website. Over 4 million WordPress users trust this security plugin which shows the unmatched level of security that it offers to its users.
Feature Highlights –
- Live Traffic: It lets you monitor your site visitors deeply by accessing their IP address, origin, and even the time of the day.
- Login Security: It helps in protecting your passwords against harmful sites that steal your personal and confidential data.
- Advanced Manual Blocking: It allows you to instantly block any malware, malicious websites, or bots based on pattern matching and IP ranges.
- Repair Files: It uses source code verification to recover your files that have suffered a dreadful attack.
- Country blocking: It enables you to block countries that clearly engage in malicious activity as a matter of prevention.
iTheme Security offers more than 30 powerful security features that harden your WordPress site making it less vulnerable to malicious attacks. This plugin is developed by WordPress security experts so the level of protection it delivers is truly incredible.
This WordPress security plugin tracks the users when they edit any content, login, or logout. It also provides a clear-cut dashboard that lets you monitor your WordPress site actively to stay on track of security status.
One area where ITheme lacks is that it does not offer a firewall. If you think that installing a firewall is the need of the hour you need to figure out other plugins like Sucuri. On the other hand, if the firewall is not on your security bucket list, then this plugin would be the best match for your WordPress site.
- File-Change Detection: It will send you email alerts regarding recent file changes so that you can identify whether you are safe or not.
- 404 detection: It helps in removing all the 404 errors generated by the bot while scanning for any potential threats.
- Away mode: It allows you to make your WordPress dashboard inaccessible for specific hours so that nobody can make any changes.
- Strong Password Enforcement: It enables you to set which level of users on your website need to have strong, unbreakable passwords.
- Lockout Bad Users: It prevents bad or suspicious users away from your website if they fail to login in many attempts or if they are in the bot list.
Secupress is a powerful WordPress security plugin that protects your site from malware attacks and other deleterious causes. Like Sucuri, it has both a free and a pro version.
The free version provides a good range of features that is all necessary to take care of your WordPress site. The Secupress pro version offers advanced features that let you ease out as it can automate tasks.
This plugin grades your WordPress site based on the current security settings. Once you’ve identified your security level, you get the freedom to export this analysis and share this with your team members or important clients.
Feature Highlights –
- Users and Login: It enables you to restrict or limit the number of bad login attempts, prohibit the login of user names that are not existing, and also avoid double logins.
- Protect Sensitive Data: It readily helps in blocking bad bots, preserves your site bandwidth, and doesn’t disclose any of your previous information to hackers via security modules.
- Firewall: It blocks suspicious incoming requests, bad user agents, and also ensures that the URLs are under constant monitoring.
- Anti-Spam: It helps you to get rid of spambots and gives the perks of having a spam-free experience.
- Logs: It will keep track of all critical security changes and 404 pages that are triggered by the users, bots, etc so that you’ll know what is currently happening on your WordPress site.
The WPScan security is a unique WordPress security plugin as it has its own set of curated WordPress vulnerability databases. This database is frequently updated by a dedicated pool of WordPress security specialists and their community team.
This potential database includes 21000+ known security vulnerabilities. So this plugin has the outstanding capability to scan your website for unimaginable threats in your WordPress plugins, themes, and even in the core software.
It also provides a free security API that is completely suitable for almost all websites. However, this plugin also provides paid plans wherein you can upgrade if you have a large website with abundant plugins.
- Scheduled Scan: It lets you schedule automated daily scans to safeguard from hacks and threats.
- Count Vulnerabilities: It displays an icon on your admin toolbar with the total number of security threats found on your WordPress site.
- Email Alerts: It sends you timely email alerts when new malware or breach is found.
- Security Checks: It checks for weak passwords, whether default secret keys are used, etc, and scrutinizes the exported database files.
By protecting over 9,00,000+ users, the All in One WP Security is an excellent WordPress security plugin that solidifies your WordPress site as it is jam-packed with lots of best and latest security practices and methodologies.
This predominant plugin performs security auditing, monitoring and also has a firewall plugin. To maintain the security levels for your WordPress site, they are categorized into ‘basic’, ‘intermediate’, and ‘advanced’. Therefore you can maintain the stability of your site by applying the needed amount of security.
It also uses an effective security grading point system to measure the health of your WordPress site based on the security features which you have activated.
Feature Highlights –
- User Login Security: It enables users to strictly log out after a desired period of time and has the power to automatically eliminate IP addresses that login with an invalid username.
- Database Security: It lets you schedule automatic backups or instantly make a database backup whenever you require with a few clicks.
- Blacklist Functionality: It allows you to ban users by specifying IP addresses or user agents.
- Security Scanner: It checks whether any changes have been made to your files via illegal access so that you can know who has accessed them.
- Comment Spam Security: It enables you to block the IP addresses that continuously post spammy comments with a simple click.
Ensuring that your WordPress site is strongly equipped to fight against potential security threats gives you a sense of confidence that your site progresses in the best way possible.
With the help of these powerful WordPress security plugins, the safety of your site is ultimately guaranteed. So why the wait? Choose your desired security plugin for your WordPress site and just relax as it will completely take the responsibility of maintaining a secure website.
Looking for more plugins to add to your site? Check our list of most essential WordPress plugins for online stores.